Cold Weather Tips for Your Skin
by Shaly Vassigh, Licensed Esthetician
As we are finally getting some relief from the heat, cooler temperatures can add some challenges for our skin, including dry skin. If you are like me and have both dry and sensitive skin, keeping hydrated and avoiding irritants is important.
For the Body:
1) Apply Fractionated Coconut Oil to the skin prior to entering your shower or bath. This will provide a layer of protection from the drying heat that occurs due to the warm water we like to enjoy in the winter. Be careful not to slip–you’ll want to be sure to have a good grip on the bottom of your shower if you do this.
2) Use one of our Supracor Bath Mitts to dry brush your skin, starting with your legs, then arms, torso, and back using short sweeping motions towards your heart. The bath mitts are antibacterial and are designed to dry easily between uses. They are a great alternative to a washcloth. This technique helps to increase circulation and lympathic drainage in your body, and can help improve those cold hands!
3) Shower or bathe, then immediately apply a lotion without parabens, fragrance, mineral oil, BHA or BHR, or polyethylene glycol (PEG), which are chemicals that can be toxic and irritate the skin. One of our favorites is Eminence Organic’s Stone Crop Body Lotion.
4) Use a detergent that is dye free, such as All Free and Clear and skip the dryer sheets (you can opt for chemical-free wool dryer balls for static electricity).
5) Stick to natural fibers such as cotton or silk for dry or sensitive skin. Avoid polyester, which can be irritating even for skin that is not sensitive.
For the Face:
As the seasons change, it is a good idea to re-evaluate the needs of your skin and adjust your skin care regimen accordingly. During the winter, you may need to add a moisturizer that is more hydrating. At night, our skin loses moisture, so it is a good idea to add a night cream to your regimen. Eminence Organic’s new Marine Flower Peptide Night Cream has been extremely popular for all skin types, as it has a lightweight consistency while still hydrating and plumping the skin. For very dry skin, I recommend their Monoi Age Corrective Night Cream, which will provide intense moisture and plumping. For combination skin or acne prone skin, I recommend their Lotus Detox Overnight Cream. This cream contains jojoba beads to help replenish moisture loss and microgreens, which assist with the skin’s other overnight process of detoxification.
Adding a few drops of a nutrient-dense oil is another way to increase moisture. Rosehip C+E Firming Oil and Facial Recovery oil will do this while also keeping your skin looking young. Rosehip C+E Firming Oil will help to lighten, tighten, and brighten, while their biodynamic Facial Recovery Oil is like liquid gold to help calm sensitivity and balance oil production while smoothing out lines and wrinkles.
Another client favorite for increasing the skin’s moisture is Eminence Organic’s Birch Water Purifying Essence. This product, which is used as a step between your toner and your serum, is inspired by Korean skincare and contains snow mushroom to help your skin absorb moisture like a sponge. Our clients report having more plump and hydrated skin and say this is one product they can’t live without.
For the Hands:
Our poor hands have been through so much with all the washing and sanitizing we have been doing during the pandemic. Many of us have had increased sensitivity and dryness on our hands due to the products we are using on our skin.
1) Switch to natural soaps with non-irritating and non-drying ingredients.
Ones that I like to use are Jason’s Rosewater Hand Soap and Dr. Bronner’s castille soap.
2) Ditch the alcohol-based sanitizers.
During the pandemic, it has been a struggle to find sanitizers without drying alcohol, which is not meant to be used on the skin on a regular basis. Fortunately, we found Clean Republic’s non-toxic and hydrating Medical Strength Hand Cleaner. It is formulated with hypochlorous acid (HOCl), which is naturally produced in your body to help with a variety of functions.
3) Moisturize. Frequently.
Replenish moisture loss to your hands by applying a hand cream several times a day. Our pick is Eminence Organic’s Mangosteen Replenishing Hand Cream. It has mangosteen, a powerful antioxidant and lactic acid, which gently resurfaces the skin to make hands appear brighter and more youthful. This product has been a client favorite at our center, as clients are able to see an immediate improvement in their hands as soon as they try it.
I hope these tips help you and your skin get through the winter! As always, we can offer you a Free Natural Skin Care Consultation if you have any additional questions, or just ask one of our estheticians on your next monthly organic facial!
*We are authorized retailers for Clean Republic, Supracor, and Eminence Organic Skin Care products. These products are available for purchase at our wellness center.